Friday, October 28, 2011

6 Fun Things to Do When You're Poor

By Jonny Walls

Let's just get this out of the way. I'm not actually poor. If you're reading this on your own computer, you're not poor either.

That said, Emily and I have moved four times since we've been married, which means every time we start to get ahead financially, we decide to move again. The fallout of this is that we go straight from paying off one move to saving up for the next.

It's ok. Most people go through these stages at one time or another. We get through them.

Let's face it though, moving and living in L.A. is expensive, and sometimes budgets are a little tight.  Restaurants, road trips, "going out," even trips to the movies have to be severely limited.

I'll say it again: It's ok.

This is the life we have chosen, and it's been a fantastic ride. No regrets. No complaints.

However, this lifestyle necessitates inventiveness. I'm like a filmmaker who is forced by financial restraints into creative thinking.

We're running low on film so we'll just scrap your duel with Aunt Beru.

 My "Fun" skills have been sharpened on the whetstone of frugality over the last few years.

God forbid that if, one day, I find myself with abundant financial means, my capacity for creative fun should be dulled in the lavish breast of abundance.

"I think we need...more in this frame." "Umm...more of what, Mr. Lucas?" "More of EVERYTHING!"





Enough talk. Let the list commence.

6. Wine and Board/Card Games

Two words: Aggra-vation. This stupid, simple, addictive, and ridiculously fun board game is sweeping the nation (read: my group of friends). Six friends, twentyfour marbles, and the luck of the die. Throw wine in the mix and you have delightful mayhem. What's that? You can't afford a good wine that's actually worth drinking? Wrong. Trader Joes carries a lovely little brand called Charles Shaw (affectionately known by most as "Two Buck Chuck"). It is, as one might have guessed, two dollars a bottle and is (often) very decent. From what I understand, they use the grapes that are just barely not up to snuff. Like a cashmere shirt with a tiny blemish, most people won't know the difference. (Disclaimer: sometimes you get unlucky and suffer a bad bottle, but the majority of the time it ranges from very drinkable to delicious. Remember, two dollars!)

Warning: They do call the game "Aggravation" for a reason.

"I'm going to stab you in the eye."


5. Bourbon and Video Games (With Friends)

I cannot stress enough what a perfect match these two little blessings are. I know not everyone plays video games, but that's why games like New Super Mario Bros. exist, where four friends can pick up and play with little to no explanation. It's just good, clean (until your friends cuss you out for throwing them in a lava pit) fun. Grab a cheap yet completely serviceable handle of Very Old Barton, some ginger ale, kick up the Wii, (surely, someone you know owns a Wii) and let the good times flow.

4. Build a Fort

What more to say? Grab the old sheets, a bag of clothes pins, and put your architectural acumen to test. Let your inner kid out. You'll thank him. He'll thank you. You'll thank us. There will be copious amounts of thanks. And yes, we here at Verbal Infusion practice what we preach.

Don't pay attention to the shorts...or do.


3. Google "Free Things to Do" in City of Your Choice

It's pretty obvious when you think about it. When Emily and I were living in Portland, we decided to grab a couple of friends (which obviously helps defray gas costs) and take a day trip to Seattle. The night beforehand, I Googled "Free things to do in Seattle" and printed out the most promising of the lot. The result was a bounty of options that we would never have found if we had been content to surrender our seventeen dollars to the Space Needle. After (of course) seeing Pike Place Market, we shopped at a smaller, artsier market called Fremont Market (where Yohan got a FAT plate of nachos with meat straight off the grill, for cheap), toured the locks, and spent the twilight hours in a beautiful Japanese garden, all for free. The best thing about this method is that you naturally experience the city as you drive or walk from one place to the next. By taking the time to root out these free gems that often lie just under the surface, you get a far more intimate day with a new city than paid tours or tourist hot spots can ever provide.

2. Picnic

There are always good places to picnic. Whether it's where I used to live...


...or where I live now...


...nature is always willing to put on a show for free. Yes, in some places you have to look harder than others, but they're there. I promise. Go find them. (If you live in Detroit, please refer to the other five options on this list. And I'm...I'm sorry.)

1. Read...A...Book

Don't give me some garbage about not liking to read. Don't be a victim of your era. I know technology is great. It's fun, it's useful. I'm with you. Just don't let it spoil the ancient art of  storytelling through words. Slow reader? Grab a book on tape. Can't afford a book? The library has pretty reasonable prices from what I hear. Quit making excuses. Find a genre you like and get lost in an adventure of words. It's worth it.

Don't believe me? Then believe this!


By Jonny Walls

7 comments:

Graham said...

I like how the first two are a certain type of alcohol AND somthing... you must amend the other 4... here i will help:

4. Build a Fort with Scotch... just try your hand at building a fort while intoxicated. Note: careful with the clothes pins.... also Note, pillows become more soft when drunk....

3. "Free things to do" in the city... with a 40! thats right brown bag it ladies and gents, its what the locals do!

2. Picnic with Gin... just trust me.

1. Read...A...Book...With... Absinthe... You'll be amazed as the stories COME TO LIFE!... then Eat you...

Jonny said...

Graham: Hahahahahaha!

Emily said...

I have a shirt with that very logo on it, but inexplicably, I don't look quite like that when I wear it. I can't quite put my nipple I mean finger on it, but I'll let you know when I figure out what I'm missing.

Anonymous said...

Are you ever gonna build a fort again? The reading girl is persuasive.

Jonny said...

Actually, I've been involved in numerous forts since this one was built. But, yes, I see many more in my future as well.

Corman said...

I built a fort with my 2 year old. He's hooked.

I'm not much of a reader.

Fremont market is awesome. I got some incredibly cheap vinyls there and had some fantastic sweet potato fries. NOBODY there was high.

Anonymous said...

Very glad to know you have not lost the joy of the fort.